Image Map

Saturday, August 14, 2010

A Good Thing

I often forget that my aunt is adopted. Is that bad? Well, my aunt is my mom's brother's wife. Now that we are in the process of adopting Emma every time the adopting topic comes up with her I get teary eyed! She threw me my baby shower and she talked about find her birth mom and talking to her for the first time. I about started bawling just thinking about it.

I was just looking on Facebook before heading off to bed and she is visiting her birth mom right now (she has know her birth mom for some years now and visits her occasionally, they live in different states.) and also got to see some of her biological brothers. Seeing her pictures reminded me that this can be a Good Thing....

I've gotten so many comments and questions about things, I just want to do things my way and it is turns out bad, then let me learn the hard way. As of right now we are going to be visiting family where Emma's birth mom now live in a few weeks. I asked her if she wanted to get together and of course she does. My husband is a little worried he said, well we're supposted to have suporvised visits so I don't think we really should until the adoption is finalized. Actaully, since she relinquished, she has no visits and the visits are all up to us and I want one. This will be our first one not through DCFS. I guess we'll see how it goes.

I also e-mailed Emma's biological uncle. This is what I told him, "Sorry it has taken me a while to get back to you.

"(birth mom) and I have agreed upon an open adoption. My husband and I are willing to keep in contact, share pictures and how she is doing, as long as it remains safe. If there is ever any threat to kidnap (J), or we are harassed or so on, we will drop contact.

"I also want J to be able to know where she comes from and to know things about her birth families. I'd love to get to know you and your family better for J.

"As far as meeting someday, we will just have to see how things go over time. I'm not promising it, but I'm also not ruling it out. I hope you realize that I'm just doing what is best for J.
Right now I'm trying not to make a lot of contact because we are still dealing with DCFS. Once we finalize the adoption I will feel more comfortable with building contact and relationships with people. I hope you understand where I'm coming from."

Was I mean or anything? I think it was good, but something my good is mean to others!

Sigh, sorry for my ramblings, I'm tired. Off to bed.

Also, I want to put together a book of sorts for Emma to be her "Adoption Story" but I have NO idea what to do. What do I say? I'm clueless here! Any help?!?

No comments: