Image Map

Monday, March 8, 2010

The sisterhood of the childless women

I found this article and wanted to share parts of it-


I never stopped loving children, but once I realized will never have children, my whole frame of mind had to change. People have very little understanding or sympathy for women like me. For example, if the weather is bad every single woman I work with is out the door to pick up her children. Women like me are always left behind to hold the fort. Who will wait for me, scared, because of the storm?

It almost feels like your life is not worth that much because if something were to go wrong there would be nobody behind left without a mother, as I am a childless woman. A childless woman is like a shadow - you may or may not notice it on the wall. It doesn't have a shape nor does it make a sound and it disappears in the night like it never existed. I remember the conversations around the water cooler. Women always talk about fashion or cooking until somebody starts talking about what her child.

You can have the knowledge of Einstein or have Newton's intelligence; nothing will deter a woman from talking about her child, while you, the childless woman, can hear yourself carrying your own conversation – talking to yourself, quiet, just an extension of the water cooler.

My lack of children made me lose some of my best friends. No, we did not argue and parted ways because we did not agree on who should be the next president of the United States. We suddenly had nothing in common, our two ways conversations became a one speech dedicated to the little bundle of joy they had. Their lives changed and so did our relationship. My contribution was a gift or just sitting on my chair and listening. We could not share emotions, thoughts, feelings, and advice.

There was no debate on the fashion front or life in general. The jury was out and the decision was made: nothing comes before the baby. I understood their joy but they never made an effort to understand my sorrow.

I decided to become a teacher and a mentor to a little boy and I now know this will be my salvation as I will be able to save and be saved.

I will be able to mold minds into becoming the best they can become while I can cheer their accomplishments from the bleachers while their mothers beam with the pride, rightfully deserving it.

So, you, all the childless women, please don't think your lives are
worthless. Find your own path to happiness, join the sisterhood of the traveling childless women, and celebrate the 8th of March, the International Women's Day, the day that celebrates women, even the childless ones.

No comments: