Image Map

Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Just don't...

You know that feeling when you meet someone or find out someone you know has struggled with infertility. It's an automatic connection. It's nice when we can sympathize with each other.

Then... sometimes there is that person who thinks they can sympathize with you. You sit there nodding your head while you think, "You have no have no clue what it is really like!" Ever happened to you?

 I've been dealing with my crazy cycles for 19 years! 6 weeks ago I went to my doctor (physician) because of my non-stop cycle. Last year he recommended a hysterectomy, but at the time we didn't have insurance. He said once we got insurance he'd give me a referral. We got our health insurance in May thanks to my hubby's new job!

I thought a lot about it. I weighed my options. I thought about the pros and cons. I allowed myself to grieve the fact that I would never ever ever get pregnant. Once I was done I was 100% sure I was ready for a hysterectomy. So my doctor gave me a referral to a local OBGYN. He told me the OB might try some other methods before committing to the hysterectomy.

I went into his office ready to fight for my hysterectomy. It was over 6 years ago that I begged my current OB to do a hysterectomy. I was 24 at the time! The OB walked into the room, looked at my paperwork and said, "You want a hysterectomy and you have adopted 2 kids. Okay!" My jaw about hit a floor. I was so over the moon excited. Things moved along perfectly and very fast. 4 weeks from the day I went to my physician for the referral I was laying on my couch healing from my hysterectomy!

Needless to say, I've been pretty happy about it. I wanted it. According to my OB my uterus was in horrible condition and it needed to be done. We did the right thing.  I have zero regrets.

Well tonight at a church activity a woman started talking to me about it. Side note, this woman has 5 biological children and no (known to me at least) fertility problems. She asked if it was a sudden thing, "No, I've been trying to get one for 6 years!". She says, "We should of talked about this sooner! I used to have the same exact problem with my bleeding! My doctor wanted to do a hysterectomy, but I wouldn't have it! I went to this doctor and he put me on this hormone therapy and it regulated my cycles."

I seriously want to punch her in the face! I am happy I had my hysterectomy. It is what my body needed. I've tried so many different "hormone therapies" and guess what, none of them work for me! A hysterectomy was the right thing for my body. I get that others might be able to deal with things differently, but this IS what my body needed. His lady is highly opinionated, so I just sat there nodding along.

It made me think of this quote:

Sometimes we are too quick to judge, mock, or minimize. 

No comments: