Image Map

Friday, October 7, 2011

Foster Care Friday: More in Birth Family Relationships

I had another awkward question and conversation with Will’s mom… I honestly think they just don’t understand adoption and I don’t know how to approach it and explain it to them (Will’s parents). Not only that, but they were completely out of the loop when it can to Samantha placing Emma for adoption. Will wasn’t in the picture and then all of a sudden “Jay” was adopted by strangers! I can’t imagine realizing that your son is no longer “daddy”, he’s just “Will”.

The question, “Will told us her name was Jay …. ……, Why is her name Emma?” I explained to her, “Samantha did name her Jay …., but when we adopted her we changed it to Emma. Sorry, I'm sure it is difficult to have had her placed for adoption and you guys had no idea what was going on. We hope to get to know you all better and be able to stay in touch through Facebook!” She took it really well! She thanked me for being so honest with them and she also wants to have a relationship and know each other better for Emma’s sake. I don’t know why I’m so nervous about these things. I guess I just don’t want to say the wrong thing and upset them and mess up our relationship!

No comments: