Image Map

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Endometriosis Awareness Month

By Rachel Gurevich, About.com Guide to Fertility

March is Endometriosis Awareness Month in the United States, and various weeks in March are designated for endometriosis awareness all around the world.

There are many diseases and causes which have “awareness” days, weeks, or months. In my opinion, endometriosis desperately needs this time period, when people make a special effort to reach out and educate people about this disease.

Why? Because endometriosis is often misdiagnosed or simply over looked. According to Endometriosis.org, a survey done in 2005 found that it takes an average of 8 years for a woman to get an endometriosis diagnosis. Of those women, 65% received a misdiagnosis of another disease, and up to 50% had to see five or more medical professionals before getting accurately diagnosed.

I’ve heard from one couple dealing with infertility that their doctor believes many of the unexplained infertility cases can be attributed to undiagnosed endometriosis. In fact, among women with infertility, up to 30% are thought to have some form of endometriosis.



When Do You Give Up?

Kim is in the middle of the two week wait and going nutty. She writes, "Trying to have a baby is by far the most difficult thing I have ever had to do, and I have been through a lot in my life. So many people get pregnant without even trying, or by trying for only a few short months. I have been dealing with this for about 15 months now.... Two weeks last a life time, but 15 months? That's a few centuries right there."

She also asks, "How long is too long? At what point do you decide it's been enough, it's not going to work, and you just stop. Stop the pills, stop the trying, stop the thinking, dreaming, wishing, hoping. At what point do you realize that it's just not going to happen for you?"

Is Everyone Fertile But Me?!

Erica writes, "Some of my frustrations include the fact that I feel old, and that all of my friends and coworkers are amazingly fertile. I feel like the odd one out, like something is wrong with me. I can't help but get irritated when someone tells me they are pregnant, even though deep down inside I am happy for them. I just want to be happy for me too. You know?"

Join Their Fertility Forums

No comments: